At IAS, our mission is to be the global benchmark for trust and transparency in digital media quality. We deliver the industry’s most actionable data to drive superior results for the world’s largest advertisers, publishers, and media platforms. Over the past week, there has been a great deal of reporting around Google Video Partners (GVP) inventory practices, and we would like to share observations we have made as a third-party measurement provider across both YouTube and GVP.
IAS provides trusted third-party measurement for Viewability and Invalid Traffic across YouTube O&O and GVP inventory. Our measurement provides customers the ability to view the share of impressions their campaign ran on GVP and YouTube O&O within IAS Signal.
IAS measures YouTube and GVP impressions for advertisers and agencies across select inventory types, ad formats, and devices. We have measured for Viewability and Invalid Traffic across YouTube and GVP since 2016.
YouTube and Google Video Partner Inventory Breakdown
In January through early July 2023 alone, IAS has measured billions of ad impressions on YouTube and GVP inventory. The data demonstrates that the vast majority of impressions and placements run on YouTube O&O vs Google Video Partner inventory.
Here are a few key data points:
- 96.6% of impressions ran on YouTube O&O inventory, with 3.4% of impressions running on GVP inventory
- 93% of total placements (i.e. line item) ran only on YouTube O&O inventory, while roughly 7% of total placements included GVP inventory
- Across the 7% of placements in which both YouTube O&O and GVP were activated, GVP inventory represented 21% of the total impressions with YouTube O&O representing 79% of total impressions served. Fewer than 1 in 10 placements had 80% or more of their impressions served on GVP inventory.
Google Video Partner Viewability & IVT Benchmarks
The data demonstrates that the Viewabilty and Invalid Traffic rates are similar across YouTube O&O and GVP inventory.
- Across all GVP impressions, the average Viewability rate was 92.74% and Invalid Traffic rate was 0.40%
- Across all YT O&O Impressions, the average Viewability rate was 93.56% and Invalid Traffic rate was 0.29%
- The Viewability rate is based on the MRC standard definition for viewability
This data represents customer campaigns that IAS measured across YouTube and GVP based on supported inventory types and ad formats.
To learn more about how you can measure your YouTube and GVP campaigns, please reach out to your IAS representative or contact us today at YouTube@integralads.com.